Monday, March 3, 2008

Why I am letting my Playboy prescription lapse

No, it's not just because Des always had to move them from the basket on the toilet whenever her parents visited. And I still plan on hiding my stack in an obvious place when I someday have an adolescent child.
However, I can't continue to feed the hijacked media monster any more, even if I just read it for the articles. And it's all because of a woman...or three women.
Yes, of course, I'm talking about the Girls Next Door, Holly, Bridget, and Kendra. I really just don't get them, I suppose. Playboy claims to be the premier men's entertainment outlet, and yet this program runs on E!...and seriously, would any man watch E!? I won't get into the fact that these three vacuums do about as much for women as did Monica Lewinski, yet their viewership is primarily women...including the one I live with.
The popularity of their show has really opened up a lot of opportunities for these women, and more power to them, I suppose. But how many times do we have to hear at least one of them talk about 'how hard they've worked to get where they are?' Seriously. If you consider sleeping with an emaciated old Skipper wannabe 'hard work' (which it is, no doubt) then I'm sure they have worked really hard to get to where they are, but if there was ever a need for a group to get a reality check, I think this is it.
And speaking of the Hefner, what is up with the ladies always talking about what a 'gentleman' he is? The only difference between that 'gentleman' and any dirty old man at the train station is that the gentleman gets to do what the dirty old man only fantasizes about. That and a pile of cash, a mansion, a stable full of luxury vehicles, and a never-ending chain of parties with celebrity guests. That must be what makes a gentleman.
The problem with all of this is that the more I look at my expiring subscription, the more I realize that the magazine has become simply a platform to promote the TV show. The three girls are taking up more and more copy every month, and when the new DVD review column is primarily devoted to talking up the release of last season's boxed set (5 bunnies, of course) I start to wonder if the magazine has lost its identity.
The magazine has always been focused on the materialistic side of culture, but now I fear it is moving from the civilized man's brand of refined materialism to the valley girl's shopping day brand.
So before anyone says "If you don't like them, don't watch them!" I say, hey, that's exactly what I'm going to do, and I'm not going to contribute to the institution that facilitates it anymore. I'm sure they won't miss me.

S

No comments: